A simple recipe for homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream, assuming you have an ice cream maker – which makes all the difference in the world!
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
3 cups half-and-half
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup heavy cream
8 egg yolks
2 tsp peppermint extract
2 tsp crème de menthe (green or white)
a few drops of green food coloring (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Pour the half-and-half into a medium saucepan and place over a medium burner on the stove.
2. Add the sugar and the salt to the saucepan. Bring to just a simmer.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks.
4. Temper the egg yolks into the cream and put back on the stove until the custard coats the back of your spoon and you can draw a line through with your finger, about 140ºF.
5. Pour hot egg mixture through a sieve into heavy cream in a bowl set over an ice bath. Stir with a rubber spatula until cool. Don’t use a whisk, you don’t want to add any air bubbles.
6. Stir in mint extract, crème de menthe and green color to your look and taste desires. Chill several hours, overnight is best.
7. Following your ice cream maker’s instructions, freeze ice cream base and add chocolate chips for the last minute.
8. Pour ice cream into a container and freeze several hours more.